Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Almost finished

As I'm almost done with the semester, I hope to get some figures up for some of you who've been asking me how much money I spent. I can tell you your best bet for right now is to look up my daily totals that I wrote at the end of each entry up until the 20th of November. This should give you a vague idea of the cost of living in Paris. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with some other calculations that will give everyone a good idea of the "total cost" for a trip like the one I just had.

My best advice to all of you students is:
1. get used to eating lots of pasta!
2. don't deprive yourselves of pastries and baguettes, they are some of the most delicious and cheap things you can find
3. when traveling, make sure you take lots of trains and take advantage of your youth -- anyone under 26 usually gets a huge discount on trains. there's also no baggage limit on trains and the most you'll ever have to wait to get on one is 30 minutes (Eurostar). That's right, no train to the airport, no huge security line.
4. always show your student card everywhere!!! In london, you can get discounts at clothing stores and even the mac store - in Paris, I've gotten discounts and freebees from everywhere from the louvre to Mc Donalds. Sometimes it's just that easy.
5. Items to bring with you: chapstick, makeup, tampons (cardboard applicators seem to be normal in Paris), a towel, sharpies, long underwear/ stockings. Everything else you could probably buy here at a decent price, though bringing stuff you already own clearly saves you money.

No comments:

Post a Comment